Monday, January 16, 2012

The Storm is Passing Over

     A friend of mine, we'll call him Reorge Rebran to protect his identity, while on a road trip to "Shmew Shmexico" told me "the best time to speed is going uphill." Reorge's advice was for avoiding law enforcement speed traps, which are usually at the bottom of hills, but I think it also serves as a good metaphor for Jude's progress this past week. Jude is facing an uphill battle but he's been speeding up that hill.
     After his rough Monday night last week, Tracy and I were much more guarded in regards to Jude's health. The fine line between reality and hope is faith. Tracy and I have done our best to fight the good fight and stay faithful.  We have had immense support from all over the country from close family members to nameless faces. We have received emails, text messages, and phone calls all in support of Jude and ourselves. We have also received financial support in the form of gift cards, money, and an overload of good food that's been brought to the Mitchell's.  We've been told by some that Jude's story brings them hope and has reignited their faith.  Whether it was encouraging to us or others, the last three weeks have shown how God can work in difficult situations to show His love and build up faith.
     Most importantly, Jude has been benefiting from the encouragement and prayers as well.  Since his rough night on Monday he has continued to climb back up the health scale.  The reports from the doctors and nurses have continued to be positive.  Jude is being weened down on his ventilator daily.  The blood gases, which is a blood draw that reveal the oxygenation in his blood, CO2 levels, ect.  have been steadily good.  He has gained some weight, a little over half a pound, in the last week.  He is still being fed at the moment though, due to the complications that arose last week from feeding.  Overall, Jude is doing quite well.
     We have no updates on when the surgery to remove his taratoma will take place.  We have been told that a meeting will take place tomorrow between the ENT's, plastic surgeons, and Neonatal doctors to discuss possible options.  We are eager for the meeting to occur but we are also aware the meeting may not bring any new answers.  Doctors have informed us that the meeting is a "progress report" and may not yield any dates or new information for us.   Like a ten-year old forced to sit on Santa's lap one last time, we reserve the right to be skeptic.  We are hopeful that the meeting will at least provide us with the milestone needed to be reached for a surgery date to be set.
     We are very grateful for all the love and support we have received.  The toughest day-to-day challenge now is just waiting.  I suspect that Tracy and I will emerge from this experience with a higher tolerance for patience.  Both the short-term and long-term future of the Schinzel family is up in the air at the moment.  This has been extremely difficult for me and I'm sure torture for my wife, the planner.  My feelings at the moment are like an amplified version of those you feel when you sit in the waiting room at a quick-lube to change the oil in your car.  I feel like I have an idea of how long it will take by the number of cars I saw in line in front of me, but I can't really say for sure because I can't control any of the variables after I hand the keys over.  And so, as we handed the keys to our baby over to the doctors at birth (although we really never had the keys I suppose.  Maybe I should have spent more time on a better analogy) we are sitting in the waiting room, drinking bad coffee and watching episodes of courtroom tv.  At least our waiting room has a lot of friends and family stopping by to check-in.
     So, for now we are hanging out in the waiting room, both figuratively and literally.  All in all, things are going as good as they can be in this situation though.  I feel that God is refining Tracy and I through Jude.  We are learning to put Romans 8:28 into practice as well as understanding better what Paul meant in Philippians 4:11-13- "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

To God be the Glory,


-Chris

2 comments:

  1. Chris,
    Was just thinking of you when I opened my computer and there you were. Seems that God has a big plan for this waiting time in your life. I pray that you see angels around you, ministering to you. Know that you are missed and loved by your family here in Boise. robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, Tracy and Jude,
    You are all an inspiration to my family and I. As I read each blog I know God is working in your lives and through your lives. I hadn't read Jude in the Bible in awhile, so I began to look through it and the very beginning of it started me thinking...Jude was referred to as a servant of Jesus Christ and I saw a strong resemble of Jude there...

    A Servant of Jesus Christ helps people:
    ~ Know GOD’s love to the fullest
    ~ Deepen their relationship with God
    ~ Find strength in God
    ~ Find Peace in only a way that God can provide
    ~ Find a sense of Joy only God can bring them
    ~ Open their HEART in way that they never expected

    Jude has helped people:
    ~ Know GOD’s love to the fullest
    ~ Deepen their relationship with God
    ~ Find strength in God
    ~ Find Peace in only a way that God can provide
    ~ Find a sense of Joy only God can bring them
    ~ Open their HEART in way that they never expected

    Jude totally rocks!
    You are all in our prayers throughout the day and into the nights...we miss you and can't wait to meet the Dude!

    ReplyDelete