Wednesday, January 4, 2012

With all the people around Jude think he was a prince or something...

      The title of this blog refers to the fact that we recently learned that at the time of Jude's birth there were 37 doctors, nurses, etc. in the actual operating room and another 16 people in the hallway including the Board of Directors and CEO of the hospital.
     The last twenty-four hours were epic in the Schinzel family.  They started with Jude getting his tracheostmy tube replaced.  They custom ordered him a smaller tube, one that would fit better for his small trachea.  The procedure was a success and he is now breathing easier and is also able to rest more comfortably.  Tracy was able to watch over the procedure and give approval.  I, however, opted out of that.  Not that I am squeamish when it comes to blood.  In fact, when it comes to that it would be quite the opposite.  Tracy would prefer a general anesthetic for a blood draw whereas I wouldn't mind doing it myself if they'd let me.  No, I couldn't watch because if something were to go wrong I would feel helpless.  I think that must be the difference between moms and dads: moms wanna be there no matter what, whereas dads only wanna be there during a conflict if they can help.  This is probably why dads are no good to talk to when their teenage daughter has a boy problem.  Dad doesn't know what is going on inside his teenage daughter's head and he sure doesn't want to help her figure out how to make any boy like her.  At any rate, Tracy was present and the procedure, as I said, went well.
     So, with his new trach tube in place it was time for Jude to tackle the smaller ventilator.  Now usually when tackle and smaller are together in a sentence it means that the issue or problem is smaller to tackle, but in this case a smaller ventilator is actually a larger, more difficult task for our young man.  You see, the smaller the ventilator, the more work he must do.  I am pleased to report that he was and is doing great with the smaller ventilator.  At first, his C02 levels were up significantly, but after some time and a little more work, he became more stable and is doing better than he was doing on the larger ventilator.  Jude seemed to remember the theme of 1 Corinthians 12 and decided that all parts of his body were equally important and must work together.  So, he has been persevering and since that time has not looked back.
     Later in the day, the doctors decided that he was fit to go to imaging.  This was terrific news since we have been waiting since his birth for him to be able to go to imaging.  The team assembled after lunch and whisked him, well whisked very quickly at a safe, controlled speed dragging behind him a ventilator and an IV tower for a CT scan.  The results of the scan would determine his surgery date for removal of the teratoma.  So, we waited for the results, busying ourselves with other activities.  Finally, Tracy met with the Neonatlogist who informed her that it was the Ear, Nose, and Throat doctors who would determine the surgery date after evaluating the scans and they....had gone home for the day.  Not exactly disappointed but a little less enthused we reluctantly agreed to meet with the ENT's tomorrow as if we had any say in the matter.
     By the end of the 24 hours or so Jude had accomplished a few firsts: receiving a new trach tube, staying on his new ventilator, and the last, but certainly not the least, being held by his mommy.  We were given possibly the biggest shock since his birth as we walked in the NICU and were told by the nurse that if his blood gases were good at ten o'clock then Tracy could hold him.  Now I've seen my wife happy before, in fact, I've seen her ecstatic.  She was pleased when I asked her to marry me.  She was happy when she told me she was pregnant.  She was giddy when she learned they were putting a DSW Shoe store in Boise.  But she was beyond giddy like I've never seen when she was told that she could hold her baby boy for the first time.  You have to understand that we were not planning on being able to hold him for months.  To learn that she could hold him this early was the best early birthday present (her birthday is this Saturday) she could have ever received (on that note, I suppose I can take back the jewelery I bought her for her birthday.  Thanks, son).  It was riveting to say the least to see my tiny baby boy being held by his mom.  To know that she had been through so much to get to this point.  She had overcome so much sickness, pain, and emotional trauma to reach this exact moment.  I'll let her share about that moment in her own blog but as her husband and his father...a more beautiful moment has never been seen on my twenty-eight years on this earth.
     The last twenty-four hours have truly been epic.  Not only for Jude but for Tracy and myself.  Seeing his progress and his strength has made me very grateful.  I've also been able to share his story with others at the Ronald McDonald House and in turn have been able to hear their stories.  This has made me grateful for what I do have.  There are many at Ronald McDonald and at Children's Mercy who do not have it as good as we do.  Some because their child is more sick, faces more obstacles, and has less than a bad chance at surviving.  Some because they are all alone in this world with the exception of their spouses and a few others.  We are so grateful of how God has worked in Jude's life and our own lives up until this point.  You don't have to look very far or very deeply into the past to see how God has answered prayers, blessed our lives, and provided for us when we were in need.  Jude's life, health, and our sanity have been a direct result of God's hands working through us and others.  Even if we weren't completely surrounded by support from our family in Kansas City and those that have come in from out of town, we would still be surrounded by the love of God's family.  This is evident from the texts, emails, facebook comments, and phone calls we receive on a daily basis.  Some are from close friends who receive the same pictures and updates my own mother receives and some are those for whom I could ride in an elevator with and not recognize them.  It can be easy when you are around such an amazing family, both biological and church, to take for granted what treasures you have.  There are those families who have never known love like that expressed in Romans 12 and who have never seen the truth of Matthew 19:26...The Schinzel family is not one of those families.




2 comments:

  1. beautiful, eloquent, amazing! how great the joy a small being can bring into life! so happy for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another tear-jerker. Wow, Chris and Tracy. What a day you had. Every morning I live for these posts. I've made a promise to God not to go on the internet in the am until I've had time with him. This helps motivate me, because I live for your news (-: Certainly, little Jude is a prince. Makes me think of baby (prince) Moses who had every odd against him, yet had God on his side, with a very big plan for his life. I am lobbying to come your way, but we'll see how finances go (and so many travels coming up). love you! robin

    ReplyDelete