Sunday, January 22, 2012

Veiled Excitment

     Every semester in my college career I have faced what I call "veiled excitement."  It's the term that can best describe how I feel right before my last final exam of the semester.  I feel excited to soon be done with the semester and to be on break, but it is veiled by the anxiety that goes with taking any final.  Like Jude's upcoming surgery, there is always a chance of failure associated with any final exam.  Obviously, my son's major surgery and a test for school are not an equal comparison of importance.  The veiled excitement and anxiety that I feel are a million times intensified.  I know Tracy also shares my thoughts with similar feelings of her own.
     Jude will undergo surgery on Tuesday morning at 9:00 am (Central Time) to remove the tumor from his mouth.  The doctors met last Tuesday and decided that it was time.  He has grown some (I believe he's up to about 4lbs 12oz) and is stronger now than he has ever been.  The most significant advancement in his health has been the development of his lungs.  Although they are not considered fully-developed, he has made steady progress over the last two weeks and doctors feel that he is stable enough to undergo the 3 to 5 hour surgery needed to remove the tumor.
     The plan of attack, we've been told, is to "amputate" the tumor at the front of the mouth in order to control the initial bleeding and then, once the bleeding has mostly subsided, advance to the inside of the mouth and remove the stem of the tumor.  In addition to the surgery being difficult for the ENT's, because the tumor begins at the back of the mouth, the surgery will be dangerous for Jude.  At just under 5lbs, he is still pretty small.  For an adult there are risks with any surgery, for an premature infant these risks do more than double.  Doctors feel confident that Jude will be do all right and Tracy and I are more than optimistic.  Still, there remains the dangers for such a young baby to go through such a big surgery.
     We are again so grateful for all the support that we have received through numerous outlets in our lives.  We appreciate all the support and prayers and hope that Jude will receive more prayers as Tuesday approaches.  For those of you on facebook, Tracy's father is starting a 24 hour prayer chain that is beginning at 7:00 pm on Monday night and continuing on through Tuesday evening till 7:00 pm.  If you are interested in filling a time-slot just let me know or you can just pray on your own (I don't think God requires you to sign up for the prayer to be efficient).  I will be posting updates after the surgery as they come.

To God be the Glory,

-Chris

1 comment: